Thursday 9 May 2013

Festival day

Farmer girls

Today was a free day, since yesterday Kathleen my host, Jess the Canadian Helper, and I worked overtime and sheet mulched a garden bed. First I want to say how pleased and honored I am that they trusted me to direct this garden project - their first taste of permaculture! - that included procuring a cartload of manure from a local equestrian centre (I was amused that I referred to it as "poo" and everyone else felt free to call it "sh*t"!)

Today was a national holiday, so we started at a busy "vide grenier" or "empty your attic" sale on the main street of Salviac.

You don't find this in American attics!
Old postcards found by Jess and Dave

 

In a restaurant - no need to translate!

In the afternoon we went to a festival of plants and horses at Cazals, another small village. There were Occitane dancers, horse games, birds on display, and plants for sale. Check out the riding video for a clip of some serious athleticism! (And a witty comment by Jess ;-)

Golden pheasant

 

 

My hosts and fellow Helpers are all easy to get along with, friendly and generous. Tomorrow we are planning a trip to the local caves with prehistoric art.

Kathleen, Yves, Dave, Jess

 

1 comment: