Monday 27 May 2013

What's most important

Bugarach mountain

The sun came out today - a big change from weather that has been unfathomably cold and wet for the south of France. It was my first day awakening in the yurt-like home of Anne, my host in the forest at the foothills of Mount Bugarach.

Gluten-free, raw food tables

Anne arranged for a ride to the market for the two Estonian Helpers already here, while she and I and 9-year-old Peter walked down the road toward Rennes-les-Bains until a neighbor gave us a lift to the hippie market at Esperaza (notable for the didgeridoo, dreadlocks, and unmistakeable aromas ;-) For lunch Anne and I had a raw food plate ("assiette cru"), the Estonians some Indian fare from a food truck.

Market-goers
Look at the size of the paella pan!

 

 

 

 

 

 

We walked from the market to her friend Hughes' house, where Anne's mother Joan has been staying while visiting from Scotland. Normally Joan stays with Anne, but we're here occupying all the beds, and it's been cold and raining and Anne's kitchen burnt down in February, so she's more limited in her ability to host. Today was Mother's Day in France (why they have a different date than every other country that celebrates it, I don't know!), and we celebrated all afternoon with a picnic, Hughes on guitar, Johannes on drum, and an open campground field to dance in and watch the dogs play.

An afternoon picnic

How amazing is it to have conversations - in the first afternoon of meeting someone - that touch on the spiritual nature of existence, on reverence for the natural world, on the essence of music, on what's most important in life? I felt an immediate appreciation for Joan, who is soon to turn 86 (from her head-high leg kicks and air-dueling with her grandson, Anne, Hughes, and Yusef, you would never guess!!). She told me many stories of her life, from first meeting her husband, living in Africa, losing a child of 14 months to malaria, being sent to live with a "horrid" aunt after her father died when she was 15. What struck me from the beginning was how frequently she said, "I'm very lucky." In every one of those stories, she felt lucky: it was several coincidences that brought her husband into her life; she has a visual memory, and so always remembers a happy moment with her lost child; being subject to her aunt's disdain strengthened her spirit. Through all of it, she declared, her sense of humor is what she values most about herself. It's what's helped her find the goodness in every situation.

Anne and Joan dueling

I'm thinking of all the ways I am lucky. I've lived such a beautiful life so far, filled with adventures and friendships and boredom and heartbreak. I'm lucky to have my own mom to celebrate, and so thankful for Skype that's allowed us to stay in touch while I'm traveling. I'm lucky for all of it. I came to France hoping to experience family life, and I've been welcomed into so many homes. I'm lucky to encounter so many warm and genuine people, to see how they live, to break bread with them, to contribute to their gardens, to recognize our kinship.

And I'm lucky to have all of you, reading these words, as part of my extended vibrational family. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment