Saturday 18 May 2013

Past and Present Countryside

Grotte Préhistoriques de Cougnac

My host Kathleen and co-Helpers Dave and Jess and I went to one of the ancient caves in this region (the Lot, southeast of Dordogne). There are many caves in the area, new ones discovered every year, with incredible concretions: stalactites, stalagmites, and columns formed from mineral-rich water dripping over eons. Our visit included two caves, the first with sparkly columns and millimeter-thin straw-like stalactites.

Concretions de Grotte de Cougnac
Fistuleuses de Grotte de Cougnac

The second cave was up a hill, and after a short walk we entered a cellar with stone carvings from a era of the nearby town's history, then descended to the cave. Photographs aren't permitted, to protect the cave paintings - the oldest of which were made 25,000 years ago!! It was awe-inspiring to see such ancient creations by humans with incredible sensitivity to movement, dimension, and beauty.

Cave art: Grotte de Cougnac

Dégagnac Countryside

A few days later, my co-Helpers and I took a walk through the countryside. We started in the tiny town centre, passed through an educational garden, on to gravel and dirt trails that skirted hamlets and fields. We sat on a garden wall to eat, admiring lilac and rose bushes, and thanked the owner when he came out to wish us a good lunch!

Herb spiral and garden beds
"The four life stages of a butterfly"

A few days after that, four of us saddled up for a trail ride! Kathleen and I actually took a lesson the day before, which was great for my confidence and hard on my thighs ;-) but the views were amazing and we all enjoyed our horses. (Yes, my horse was shorter than me, and no - I didn't mind!!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment