Thursday 11 April 2013

Ça Marche!

The verb marcher means to walk, to work, and to get along. I'd say I'm doing all of those in abundance. The image you see first is of the five flights of stairs I climb to come home; an excellent absolution for all those lovely treats I've been tasting. Not that I've been lazy - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights I went dancing at the 2013 Paris Jazz Roots and Lindy Hop Festival. Interspersed with dancing were various performances of the weekend's teachers; one of my favorites, Sharon Davis, did an amazing cabaret dance. (The video misses the beginning, when she came out wearing a gorgeous high-collared robe of red velvet with gold edging, which she coyly unbuttoned and tossed aside ;-)

Sunday afternoon I took a long walk through the Marais, visiting fancy shops and admiring architecture at La Place des Vosges and along Rue de la Rivoli.

(an) Entrance to La Place des Vosges
La Place des Vosges
Tea store

Hôtel de Beauvais
Hôtel de Ville

 

 

Tuesday and Wednesday I visited one of the two Alexander Technique training programs in Paris, what a delight! Next week I visit the second. I already have two other exchanges with French teachers lined up for the near future; it's lovely to see how other people work, and it's excellent practice for my French. In the first class I actually followed along fairly well as they spent an hour discussing a chapter in one of F.M. Alexander's books, Constructive Conscious Control of the Individual (actually my favorite of the four he wrote). It was the chapter on the pursuit of happiness, quelle bonne chance. I don't mind having a working holiday of this kind one bit!

Today I am resting up; the past few days have felt rather long - I had to use an alarm clock, quel dommage (what a pity). Tomorrow I'm meeting some Alexander teachers for exhange and dinner. Forty, here I come! :-)

 

1 comment:

  1. Theta, I am really enjoying following your blog. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Isn't the architecture amazing?

    ReplyDelete