Friday 29 March 2013

Day 10: Days End In Dublin

My last night in Ireland - I fly to Paris early tomorrow. It was a bittersweet morning, wrapping up the convention, packing bags and saying goodbye. I'm exhausted from so much input, fast friendships, curious meals, a whirlwind of plans and impressions.

Today I am meeting myself. I've left the safety of an intentional environment, the cushioned landing for my adventure. I've nothing planned next, and a lot to consider. What's my role, in my professional community, in my own teaching practice, in my experience of myself? I want to be an uplifter, an advocate for the most expanded version of everyone who passes through my world. I think that I can be, and this wild dive of mine is my personal expedition into being that for myself. I'm feeling tender, for sure; a result I know of needing rest, simple food, quiet, and the gentle hand of time to allow my system to recalibrate. There's no getting around this awkward phase.

A new friend, Philip Nessel, invited everyone at the convention to describe on film what the Alexander Technique is to each of us... For me, it's the guiding principle of being kind to myself. Sometimes we can't get around things that are unavoidably awkward or painful. But we can, I can, not add to the discomfort of those times. As my teacher Bob Britton says, we have the option to take refuge in mobility - not stability. Things are always changing, and the more we can just let them be as they are, the more changeable they'll be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment