Thursday 21 March 2013

Day 2: The Rail/Sail to Ireland

Even though I woke up around 5am, I still managed to miss the 8:30 bus that would have delivered me to the station for the 9:10 train to the ferry to Dublin... So I ended up running at breakneck speed, with a full pack on front and back, to the train. Ugh... Perhaps the point of my trip is to learn how to LEAVE SPACE for myself... In my body, as I'm practicing accepting its shape and in deepening my application of Alexander's principles, in my mind as I learn a new language (9 days to Paris!), and in my emotions and spirit, putting myself in new environments to see how they feel and how I respond.

Canal boats, English countryside

I thankfully DID make the train, 5 minutes before departure, although 12 hours later I'm still coughing as though that was way hard on my lungs - quite the price to pay. I found a comfortable seat with a big window view of the countryside - canals with a selection of pretty boats, community gardens, and fields of sheep mixed with neighborhoods and industry.

Riding the train is so fun. Pulling through the station of Crewe, I look at the faces on the platform, wondering their stories. Is this an ordinary day for all of them? Amazing that in the midst of (their) normalcy, (my) adventure is happening! I recall trains I've ridden, stations I've passed through: Glenside to see my Kistler family, Berkeley to San Francisco, the R5 to Bryn Mawr, the Regional Rail line I took every day to work in Philadelphia.

View from Irish Ferries

As I post, I am warm in bed at my Couchsurfer host's home outside Dublin. The ferry ride was no less pleasant than the train, with space to stretch out for a real nap. My hosts are a lovely couple with a baby, and I sure am enjoying myself!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment