Monday 25 March 2013

Day 6: In Full Swing

As I lay in bed last night, sweaty and happy after 90 minutes of dancing Lindy Hop AFTER attending the evening's wildly funny Limerick Competition, I found myself realizing: This is exactly the experience I was hoping for. I feel like I'm at summer camp. I'm in love with all these people. I'm laughing, crying, making funny faces, having profound conversations, sharing myself and meeting others with an open heart. I thought I'd have to find my way to a retreat center later this spring to be in a setting like this.... Now I'm amused to ask, if the Universe has seen fit to fulfill my wish in the first FIVE DAYS of my journey, I wonder what else is in store for me??! As in, how amazingly good is this gonna get?!?!

The hilarity began at last night's dinner, as Storyteller Extraordinaire Glenn Swift demonstrated how to skillfully hang a spoon on one's nose, to which Giora responded by demonstrating a careful balance of a salt shaker. After dinner the crowd got rowdier at all the Alexander-themed limericks, or more accurately, at the "judges" and their obvious favoritism. One of my favorite limericks was this one:

Alexander's advice upon doing
Any act from crochet to canoeing,
You must stop first and check
If you've stiffened your neck,
Then decide if the thing's worth pursuing!

After the winner was selected, twenty-odd people still had energy for a lindy hop lesson and dancing. My new friend Korina and I taught the basic step and a few turns, and celebrated how nice it is to teach well-coordinated people! Tonight she and I practiced the Shim Sham, a lindy dance, for the talent shoe Thursday night. I'm doing another dance number too; stay tuned for details.... Maybe even video, once I watch the tutorial!

There's been some general malcontent about the food; apparently I'm not the only one with sensitivities. Thankfully the kitchen has been very accommodating, but you know how it is, when really you need sleep from all the excitement and new experiences but instead, they serve dessert... This innocent-looking sweet got me in trouble twice tonight: once in eating it (and oh, it was good!) and again in a grievous error - I dared challenge an Irish man that this was, in fact, called a Banoffee. I mean, really?? Alas... Banana, cookie, toffee... I should have known!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment